Skip primary navigation

Louise Buckley

Name:

Louise Buckley

About:

Assistant Editor, working across Tor and Pan Macmillan. Likes to be unnerved, unhinged and shaken to the bone by great SF, Fantasy and Horror.

Related posts

05 Sep 2012

JULIAN MAY ARTWORK LAUNCH – BRINGING THESE CLASSICS BACK TO LIFE

In January next year we are delighted to be reissuing Julian May’s much-loved Saga of the Exiles series - and will be releasing these editions in ebook for the first time. Book One, The Many-Coloured Land won the Locus Award for Best Science Fiction novel in 1982, and the series has also been highly praised by a range of authors from Peter F. Hamilton, to Jean Auel to luminaries such as Fritz Leiber and Roger Zelazny. Take a look at our great new covers for her wonderful books, and scroll down to read about how we brought these classic books back to life.

In our initial discussions about the books we decided we wanted to create something bold and exciting, with a more fantasy-based background, and a single icon on each cover. Once we had confirmed our ideas with our in-house designer Neil Lang, Neil set about sourcing backgrounds and commissioning icons from illustrator Rob Hunter. We decided that a fiery author-name branding would perfectly capture the adventurous story, and Neil created the backgrounds from a selection of images, before colour-matching each one to fit the overall colour scheme of each cover.
Neil Lang had this to say about designing the covers: ‘Back in the day I was a massive fan of Julian May’s Saga of the Exiles series and so I relished the task of creating covers that captured these amazing stories. I’m hoping these will attract a whole new generation of readers. My challenge was to capture the energy and excitement of the novels, so I chose a branding that I felt really captured this vibrancy and spirit of adventure. The trick was also to capture that balance between something that had a science fiction backstory, but felt like fantasy down to the new world the characters travelled to here. The books should also really stand out on the shelf (or internet!) and give the books a unique identity that is instantly recognisable.’

Commissioning Editor Bella Pagan, who’s looking after these books, had this to say: ‘I absolutely loved these books when I first read them as a teenager. In fact, they are still on my parents’ bookshelf and I saw them recently when I last went up there! The whole process of briefing new covers for these much-loved books and working with our designer Neil to bring these classics back to market was so exciting. It was one of the first things I did when I moved to Tor books last year and a big boost for me, so can’t wait to see them out there again sporting their new look.’

And if you want to see what the books looked like originally, here they are:

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments on “JULIAN MAY ARTWORK LAUNCH – BRINGING THESE CLASSICS BACK TO LIFE”

1. September 5, 2012 at 7:18 pm JuliaM (@AmbushPredator) says:

Truly excellent news! I’ve been running a ‘favourite books’ meme each month on my blog, and by happy serendipity, September’s is the Saga of the Exiles!

I can ‘t wait. My old Pan imprint of the Many Coloured Land is getting a bit dog-eared… ;)

• September 6, 2012 at 9:56 am Bella Pagan says:

I’m delighted this works out so well for you and that you have so much love for the books! Just in time too before that old copy dropped to bits :)

2. September 6, 2012 at 8:06 pm Andy Neilson says:

Fantastic news that these are being republished. This series deserves to be discovered by a new generation of readers!

Sweet houghmagandy!!

3. November 9, 2012 at 4:20 pm Tim Wilson-Brown says:

Are Intervention (Metaconcert + Surveillance) or the Galactic Milleu Trilogy being republished as well?

• November 12, 2012 at 12:55 pm Louise Buckley says:

Yes! Intervention, plus the three Galactic Milleu books will be published in February 2013, a month after the Saga of the Exiles series.

4. November 14, 2012 at 6:40 am Sean Patrick Williams says:

Have had the original set of both GM and Saga and Intervention. They are in such a sorry state through too many readings. So eagerly looking forward to a fresh set to put on the shelf. Please feel free to advise as soon as released to the email provided. (Note: Australia here). Congratz to Julian May for what may be a series that lasts all eternity!

5. November 14, 2012 at 9:55 pm Tim Wilson-Brown says:

Hi Louise,

Sean’s comment just reminded me that not all book releases are global. (I am also in Australia!)

Are the January 2013 and February 2013 releases of Julian May’s books global?

6. January 19, 2013 at 5:11 am Tim Wilson-Brown says:

It would appear that the Australian release is due on the 1stnof April – how disappointing!

The books can be a little hard to find – here they are on the global site:

• January 21, 2013 at 10:21 am Bella Pagan says:

Very happy you looking forward to them and not long now – hope you enjoy, even if Australia isn’t matching our dates exactly! Thanks for posting the link.

7. January 22, 2013 at 9:57 am Robert Mammone says:

I’d've stuck with the originals – far better on the eye and not dark! Still, it’s the words that count…

• January 22, 2013 at 10:02 am Bella Pagan says:

Glad to hear you’ve enjoyed these fantastic books, and I guess you can’t appeal to everyone with something as subjective as artwork! Hope you get a chance to re-read sometime.

8. February 15, 2013 at 11:35 pm Tim Wilson-Brown says:

For those who’ve been waiting, the Saga of the Exiles and the Gallactic Milleu trilogy have appeared in the Australian iBookstore – just search for “Jullian May”.

Unfortunately, Intervention (or Surveillance & Metaconcert for US readers) seem to have missed out at this point. Louise, was Intervention a later release?

Also, the blurbs appear to have been written by someone who has just skimmed the books – their terminology and understanding certainly doesn’t match mine!