Skip primary navigation

Bella Pagan

Name:

Bella Pagan

About:

Senior commissioning editor: working on out-of-this world SF, fantasy and urban fantasy (plus other subdivisions, factions and associated areas) for Tor UK. On twitter as @BellaPagan.

Related posts

05 Oct 2012

JULIAN MAY ARTWORK LAUNCH – THE GALACTIC MILIEU TRILOGY

In February next year, we’ll be relaunching this classic Julian May SF series with fabulous new covers. I just can’t wait to see these glowing - beacon-like - on the shelves! We’ll also be bringing them out in ebook for the first time, so we’re hoping a host of existing fans and new readers will be wanting these in both paper and electronic form. To list the covers below, Intervention is a prequel to the Galactic Milieu trilogy, which consists of Jack the Bodiless, Diamond Mask then Magnificat. These books are colourful and vibrant, and the energy of May’s imagination is just second-to-none, as her dramatic characters just leap off the page.

I have a real nostalgic soft spot for these books, as I discovered them as a teenager when reading much-loved authors such as Brian Aldiss, Frank Herbert and Anne McCaffrey – and these books were part of my discovery of the whole wonderful world of speculative fiction. And in fact, I was really happy to rediscover my original old copies on a recent trip ‘home’ to see my parents. The pages were pretty yellow, and those old covers, well . . . I’ll leave that to you to judge, but you’ll find these beneath our new ones below. Let us know what you think in the comments!

We are also reissuing Julian May’s acclaimed Saga of the Exiles series in January, and you can see a longer post on our design approach when briefing this series here.  So now on to those old covers. So old that I couldn’t actually find a full matching set, and the covers are clearly scanned from the paper copies, but I think you get the general idea.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments on “JULIAN MAY ARTWORK LAUNCH – THE GALACTIC MILIEU TRILOGY”

1. October 5, 2012 at 4:54 pm Simon Dick says:

I’m just hoping you’re doing eBook releases too :)

• October 5, 2012 at 5:01 pm Bella Pagan says:

Absolutely! As the post says, ebooks for these will be a first for us as they were only available in print form before, so excited about these.

2. October 8, 2012 at 2:00 pm Fiona says:

Is this a US-only release, or will they be available elsewhere. Specifically, in the UK? *crosses fingers*

• October 8, 2012 at 3:12 pm Bella Pagan says:

Hi Fiona – Our part of Tor is UK-based, so yes, these will be available in the UK and in the other territories where we have rights, for example Australia. We don’t actually have the US rights to these books. Thanks! Bella

3. October 17, 2012 at 8:15 pm Helen says:

Really looking forward to the ebook versions of these reissues! I am currently re-reading my original PanMac UK print editions from the 80′s which are falling to bits… And the print is tiny and a bit blurred in places, so I am looking forward to loading the ebooks up to my new Kindle!

4. December 31, 2012 at 12:55 am Glenn says:

I live in New Zealand but am extremely keen to own the eBook versions of this series when it comes out.
    Do you know if I will be able to purchase online from you in the UK or will I have to find another site?

Thanks

• January 11, 2013 at 9:31 am Bella Pagan says:

You’d be able to get these from our Pan Mac Australia sister site below, but they are publishing a little later than the UK, in April. The physical books are all on the site already and ebooks haven’t been loaded up just yet, but they will be there nearer the time. Thanks and it’s a great series! http://www.panmacmillan.com.au/list_titles.asp?txtKeywords=julian+may

5. January 15, 2013 at 3:58 pm Dave says:

I’d really like to see both series as Audiobooks. I’m guessing there’s no chance of that any time soon?

• January 15, 2013 at 5:24 pm Bella Pagan says:

It would be great to have these in audio too, but we don’t have the the rights to do audio editions here unfortunately!

6. January 26, 2013 at 3:41 am Cam23 says:

I would love to see some images (both professional and amateur) of the various species, and characters, of both the Galactic Milieu and Saga of the Exiles.
    Ms May’s descriptions are very detailed and would lend themselves to some great artwork!
    Alternatively, are there any images in existence somewhere? I’d really love to ‘see’ a Simbiari or a Poltroyan or even some Firvulag!?