Skip primary navigation

Julie Crisp

Name:

Julie Crisp

About:

Editorial Director Tor UK: discovered the joys of science fiction after reading Dune at ten and hasn't looked back since. Enjoys reading and publishing all styles of fantasy, horror and mind-bendingly good science fiction. Loves single malts, discussions about covers, and red pens. Is quietly determined to take over the universe one book at a time. Twitter: @julieacrisp

Related posts

29 Jan 2013

121

SUBMITTING A NOVEL TO TOR UK

We do like to chat to our readers and, during one such conversation on Twitter, we asked you what sort of things you’d like to know about publishing. With the aim to perhaps dispel some myths, maybe impart some unknown information – that kind of thing. One of the most popular questions aside from, ‘How do I get my novel published?,’ was ‘Do you have a direct submission policy?’.

Until recently Tor UK followed the submission policy of Macmillan in that we didn’t accept direct submissions. To be honest, with so many submissions from agents, plus manuscripts from existing authors and actually publishing books – there’s little to no time to actually go through what we used to fondly designate the ‘slush pile’.

However, we do know how frustrating it is for non-published authors to try to get their work into a traditional publishing house. With so many publishers and agents having closed their lists for submissions, many writers feel that the only option is to go down the self-publishing route. And while that works for some writers, trying to get the visibility for a novel amongst the sheer numbers of other writers all attempting the same thing is never going to be easy. Besides, hopefully, there is still a fondness for having the book edited, packaged and published by us traditional types… :-)

As editors, we’re very aware of just how much work goes into creating a novel, the nerves and anticipation involved with getting someone else to read it and then that long and tiring search looking for someone in the professional industry to actually take a look at it. So we, at Tor UK, have decided to throw the doors open and invite writers to send their novels in. The submission guidelines are below.

Now we can’t guarantee a fast response, or any kind of editorial feedback. This is because there are only three of us and, despite the popular idea that all editors do is drink coffee and read all day, the fact is the vast majority of submission reading is done in our spare time.  But, your novel will be read  – and if we love it, we will get in contact with you about it.

If you have any questions or queries then just drop us a line. Happy writing!

What sort of books is Tor UK looking for?

For direct submissions we only consider complete and unpublished science fiction, fantasy and horror novels, written in English of between 95,000 – 150,000 words.

We don’t publish non-fiction, poetry, short stories or novellas. If your work falls into any of these categories we regret we are unable to help.

How should I send you my novel?

Only emailed submissions can be considered (please see below for the email address). The email must include the novel’s title in the Subject line. The body of the email should contain a short synopsis and biographical note (including details of any previously published work), and the entire novel should be attached to the email as a single standard word-processing file, preferably Microsoft Word. Please do not send typescripts as individual chapter files, or as ‘compressed’, ‘zipped’ or password protected files.

Can I send more than one novel at a time?

Do you accept hardcopy (printed) submissions, or submissions on disc or CD?

No, and unfortunately we are unable to return any typescripts sent to us in this way.

Will you consider incomplete novels or proposals for as yet unwritten novels?

No, we can only accept finished novels.

Do you accept submissions from authors whose work has previously been self-published, ‘vanity’ published or published electronically/online?

Yes as long as they follow the guidelines set out above, including the provision concerning word extent.

Does Tor UK accept submissions from outside the UK?

Yes. But again, they will need to comply with the above guidelines.

Will Tor UK consider translations?

No. I’m afraid we’re only, at this time, looking for full and complete works written in English.

How long will you take to decide if you want to publish my novel?

If we would like to publish your novel, we will let you know within twelve weeks of receipt. Unfortunately, due to the large number of submissions we receive, we are unable to respond to unsuccessful submissions. If you have not had a response within sixteen weeks please assume that we have, regretfully, decided not to publish your novel.

How should my manuscript be formatted?

We prefer 12-point, Times New Roman, double line-spaced.

Can I resubmit a novel which has been declined by you in the past but which has been revised?

No, regrettably a decision to decline must be final.

To whom should my submission be addressed?

There’s no need to address it to a specific individual: if it is eligible and sent to the email address below it will be read and assessed by one of our team of editors.

I am a literary agent. Can I send you my client’s novel?

Yes, please follow the submissions procedure described above.

Where should I send my novel?

Please email it to: TorUKSubmissions@macmillan.com

POSTSCRIPT: If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for in the submission guidelines above, please do read through the comments to see if the answer is already shown. Many thanks.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

121

Comments on “SUBMITTING A NOVEL TO TOR UK”

1. January 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm Paul Feeney says:

Is there a closing date for submitting or will this be a continual open submission? I’ve read and re-read the post but can’t find any info there. Thank you for any help you can give me.

• January 29, 2013 at 2:38 pm Julie Crisp says:

Hi Paul, at the moment there’s no closing date. However, if we get thousands of submissions we may have to close it down temporarily so we can read and clear them. As I mentioned there are only three of us so we’ll just need to keep an eye on the work load. Otherwise, we’d never get any books published…!

2. January 29, 2013 at 5:00 pm Nigia Stephens says:

This is wonderful. Your candor about the process is great.
    I am hammering away at a novel I plan to submit.
    I didn’t want to self publish unless there were no other options for me. The opportunity to be published by a great company is drying up by the day. I’m sure you will have tons of submissions. I wish you the best.

3. January 30, 2013 at 6:50 am Jamie says:

Love the advice. This will come in very handy when I (eventually) finish putting pen to paper :)

Jamie

4. January 30, 2013 at 8:40 am Alex Beecroft says:

This is excellent news! Now to finish editing my new novel… Thank you.

5. January 30, 2013 at 9:25 am Geoff Turner says:

Are you also considering children’s fantasy (age range 9-14)?

• January 30, 2013 at 4:24 pm Julie Crisp says:

I’m afraid that as Tor UK doesn’t publish Children’s novels, we’re unable to consider submissions in this area. We will look at YA crossover novels but these tend to be aimed at 16 plus. Sorry!

6. January 30, 2013 at 2:34 pm Juliana Haygert says:

Lisa, let me see if I understood this right: if I self-pubbed a novel, can I submit that same one to you?
    Thanks.

• January 30, 2013 at 4:22 pm Julie Crisp says:

Yes, that’s true. It just needs follow the rest of the guidelines. It would just be good for you to include any relevant information as to where it was published and when in the submission email. That’s always useful. But we’re the publishers of Amanda Hocking and she was very successfully self-published before going down the traditional route! :-)

7. January 30, 2013 at 6:14 pm Robin Loveless says:

Hi, I love the submission procedure and the fact that the work must be a finished manuscript. That is the only way I can submit my work. I do have a question that was not asked and it is the most logical one, how much will your company charge or is there different levels of production to chose.

• January 31, 2013 at 9:58 am Julie Crisp says:

Hi Robin, we’re a traditional publishing company. This means that we choose what we publish and we don’t charge for it. However, it does mean we’re incredibly selective about what we take on. You can see what sort of authors and books we publish on the company website: http://www.panmacmillan.com/subject/fiction/science-fiction-fantasy

8. January 30, 2013 at 9:55 pm Janete Scobie says:

Does TOR accept any general fiction novels or only science fiction, fantasy and horror novels??

• January 31, 2013 at 9:55 am Julie Crisp says:

As Tor UK is a science fiction, fantasy and horror imprint – these are the only novels that we can consider for the list I’m afraid. Between the three of us we just don’t have enough time to read submissions outside of the area we’re publishing in. Thanks.

9. January 30, 2013 at 9:59 pm Paul Feeney says:

Lisa,

Thanks for the reply. Just need to hunker down and get these ideas written out now!

10. January 31, 2013 at 3:36 am PD says:

Are there plans to bring on more slush readers? :)

• January 31, 2013 at 9:53 am Julie Crisp says:

I’m afraid not at this juncture. It will just be the three of us. We’ll take it one submission at a time! :-)

11. January 31, 2013 at 4:19 am Neil Leckman says:

It is good to see a publisher being transparent about the process. Consider this my way of saying thanks.

On moonless nights in haunted hollow
    The tongues of beasts, men’s blood do swallow
    Shape shifting shadows that soon will fade
    Leaving lifeless husks in that mountain glade
    Swift now close thy sleepy eyes
    Hope that your dreams hold no surprise.

12. January 31, 2013 at 5:03 am Greg Mitchell says:

Great news! Do you accept simultaneous submissions?

• January 31, 2013 at 10:02 am Julie Crisp says:

We do, as per submission guidelines: Can I send more than one novel at a time? If you wish to send multiple novels for consideration please send each one as a separate submission.
      However, as I’ve said – we are limited in readers and time so it would probably best if you choose the work that you felt was your best and led with that one so we can prioritize.

13. January 31, 2013 at 7:00 am Nicholas Andrews says:

“Besides, hopefully, there is still a fondness for having the book edited, packaged and published by us traditional types… :-)”

I wanted to comment on this one thing, since this seems to be a common misconception amongst the traditional types. While there are loads of self-published writers out there who don’t bother with outside editing and artwork, or who simply aren’t ready to be published, the growing trend amongst indies the past two years has been ever more professional. Those of us who are serious about wanting to make writing a career actively seek freelance editors and cover artists to help get our work ready. The personal level of control over my book’s presentation and marketing is one of the main things that appeals to me about self-publishing. Not all of us just throw our first drafts up onto Amazon.

I applaud Tor UK for changing their model to accommodate self-published authors seeking traditional deals. It never hurts to have options, and it appears you’re savvy enough to realize the publishing world is changing and trying to roll with it, instead of burying your head in the sand like so many other companies. This new openness for submissions will probably increase your workload exponentially, so I know this isn’t an easy task to take on.

I admit, I’m not sure a traditional deal is right for me at this point, but I can see the potential advantages as well. Just as you’ve shown an open mind toward self-publishers, I will keep an open mind when deciding if I want to submit anything in the future.

14. January 31, 2013 at 7:56 am Glen says:

Should we submit a novel if it exceeds the word count, but can be split across two or three books, each of which would fall within the required word count- like Lord of the Rings.

• January 31, 2013 at 9:50 am Julie Crisp says:

Hi Glen, that’s fine. But would be useful if the books were split beforehand or there was a notation from you where you thought they could be split. Thanks.

15. January 31, 2013 at 7:58 am Brian D. Meeks (@ExtremelyAvg) says:

Good for you. I am sure that your forward thinking will be good for your bottom line. It is a changing world (of publishing) and I think there are very few publishers who truly understand this simple fact.

I am sure you will find there are still quite a few people who are interested and, as you say, have a fondness for going the traditional route.

Personally, I enjoy the publishing aspect of self-publishing, but it isn’t for everyone. When the dust settles, it is the publishers like yourselves who will remain standing…because you had vision. Well done!

16. January 31, 2013 at 8:37 am Gealdine Nesbitt says:

These days to see this from a publisher is encouraging. I will certainly be putting together a proposal. I am excited!

17. January 31, 2013 at 12:56 pm Greg Mitchell says:

Thanks for the response, Julie! Actually, I was more concerned whether or not you accept submissions that are also being reviewed by other publishers.

18. January 31, 2013 at 1:11 pm M.R.Rambler says:

You do not accept fiction with themes of adventure,romance and suspense.Will you?

• February 14, 2013 at 10:02 am Julie Crisp says:

I’m afraid the only submissions we can accept are those we’d consider publishing under the Tor UK imprint. As we are a SFF and horror publisher, unless it’s a speculative fiction novel we’re unable to consider it.

19. January 31, 2013 at 5:59 pm Sofia says:

This is great! And I’m glad that you’re more accomodating than a few others I’ve come across.
    Also, do you accept YA fantasy or sci-fi?

• February 14, 2013 at 10:01 am Julie Crisp says:

Glad you’re pleased – there’s been a lot of enthusiasm for us having done this! We do accept YA fantasy and SF as long as it conforms to the guidelines and is at the upper end of the YA readership.

20. January 31, 2013 at 9:01 pm Juhani Nurminen says:

A foolish question:
    Should the novel be written in British English or is American English okay?

• February 14, 2013 at 10:00 am Julie Crisp says:

Hi Juhani,
      Not a foolish question at all. British or American English is fine.
      Thanks

21. February 1, 2013 at 3:15 pm Mark Cole says:

What is Tor’s policy on e-book versions of novels published by your company? Is there a significant delay between paper distribution, and it becoming available for sale online?

• February 14, 2013 at 9:58 am Julie Crisp says:

Hi Mark,
      Tor UK publishes the physical edition and digital editions simultaneously. So where there is one, there should also be the other. Our ebooks are also DRM-free, an added bonus!
      Hope that helps.

22. February 2, 2013 at 4:47 pm Rob Nisbet says:

I’m polishing a novel aimed at teenagers which I hope will be enjoyed by adults too. From your previous comments I’m wondering if this is something you’d consider.

• March 4, 2013 at 4:55 pm Julie Crisp says:

Hi Rob,
      If it’s at the upper end of the teen spectrum and fits the other criteria outlined in the Tor submissions guidelines, then yes.

23. February 5, 2013 at 8:52 am John Barnes says:

I realise that you don’t cater for poetry, do you know who does and could you tell me. I’m doing what is classified as an ‘Epic’ poem at present, the content deals with stone circles, so it ought to be published in the UK. I’m working on it being about 200 verses (35,000 words). Definitely a work of fantasy, at least, I hope it is.

24. February 6, 2013 at 1:56 am Robyn says:

A quick question: In the submission guidelines it says “a short synopsis”. Would this be the query letter equivalent of a few lines and a hook or the synopsis length of 1-2 pages with the ending?

I wanted to ask rather than assume.

• February 14, 2013 at 9:46 am Julie Crisp says:

Hi Robyn,
      It’s more about the synopsis but we don’t need a retelling of the whole plot so the shorter it is the better. A paragraph or so just letting us know what it’s about would be great. Hope that helps!
      Thanks

25. February 6, 2013 at 1:38 pm Richard Webb says:

Hello Julie — firstly, I applaud this move, and hope that it yields ‘fresh blood’ for TorUK and not too many hours/days/weeks wading through ‘slush’.

(Coffee, LOTS of coffee …)

Are there any guidelines on preferences for the synopsis itself? eg. word length, separate Word doc to the manuscript, author biog etc?

Thanks.

Richard.

• February 14, 2013 at 9:45 am Julie Crisp says:

Hi Richard,
      The synopsis just needs to short and succinct – as does the author biog. And no need to attach as a word document. Just have it in the body of the email.
      Cheers

26. February 8, 2013 at 5:24 pm Diana says:

I’m a little late to the party, but I have a couple questions if you don’t mind:
    You say the work needs to be unpublished, so if it is self-published, does it need to be taken down first?
    I read in the comments that you take YA fantasy- is a book about 15-year-olds too young for you?
    Thank you! :)

• February 14, 2013 at 9:50 am Julie Crisp says:

Hi Diana,
      No need to take the work down first if it’s self-published. We’ll still consider it if it’s out there. A 15 year-old-protagonist is okay as long as the book is written for an older readership. We have some novels with main characters who are sixteen and seventeen but are novels for adults. So it very much depends on the content. We don’t publish novels for that younger readership at Tor UK so YA needs to be really the higher end of the readership for us to be able to consider it for the list.
      Cheers

27. February 12, 2013 at 2:35 pm Dave-Brendon de Burgh says:

Thanks for this great opportunity, Julie, my submission will be on its way to you shortly. :-)

28. February 14, 2013 at 9:41 am L. Sengul says:

Hi Julie, I have an ebook that is just under 75,000 words will you consider this for submission?

Many thanks!

• February 14, 2013 at 9:54 am Julie Crisp says:

The reason we’ve set the word count at 95K is that we need to set some parameters otherwise we’d be swamped. As it is, we have around 300 submissions already which do conform to all the guidelines. That makes about 100 submissions each for us to read so, at this stage, we do have to stick to the word count guidelines as otherwise we’ll be completely inundated and be unable to read anything! Sorry – it may change in the future but we’ll have to see how it all goes.

29. February 14, 2013 at 7:44 pm Morgan KF says:

Hello – do you accept paranormal romance? I see you publish Amanda Hocking, are you still looking for authors in this genre? One more question – would you allow authors to keep digital rights to their ebooks if they’re already independently published via Amazon or Kobo etc? It would be good to be able to keep digital rights; keeping Amazon royalty rates, being able to set ebook prices very low etc. Thanks for your time – Morgan

• February 26, 2013 at 1:01 pm Julie Crisp says:

Hi Morgan,
      We do accept paranormal romance if they follow our guidelines. However, when buying a novel, we do also buy ebook rights so we can have a joined up publishing strategy across formats. As you mention, we do publish Amanda Hocking – and we also publish her ebooks as well as the physical editions.
      Thanks

30. February 21, 2013 at 11:50 pm JOHN GARTH WILKINSON says:

Still waiting for a reply!

• February 26, 2013 at 12:56 pm Julie Crisp says:

Dear John,
      I’m afraid we don’t have time to check all the comments on a daily basis. Especially after having opened the submissions list as we have quite a lot of reading to do! :-) In response to your query from the 14th Feb, as I’ve mentioned previously, we’re not looking at YA fiction written for an audience of 16 or under. However, if you feel that your novel is for adults but just has teen protagonists, then we’ll be happy to take a look. Hope that helps.
      Thanks

• February 28, 2013 at 9:32 am JOHN GARTH WILKINSON says:

Dear Julie: Many thanks for taking the time to reply and your helpful hints: the second e-mail was sent as the result of a misunderstanding: sorry!
        The children of the first book mature rapidly to become teens and then adults in the next, so the first book could be seen as a prequel. Certainly many adults have responded well to it. I hope to be back in touch shortly.
        With best wishes for your reading,
        John

31. February 22, 2013 at 1:36 pm Jessica Greenman says:

First off, I think it’s really good you’re doing this. My novel’s not yet finished, and, as it’s both poetic and illustrated, I don’t think I’ll be anywhere near done in the time allocated, if there is a time limit. On the other hand, it’s already a lot longer than 95k so I could cut a few chapters and write the ending.

Do you accept illustrated work? I am a professional artist so I not only find it terrifically difficult to not draw pictures, I actually think the writing benefits from having them there; indeed, I regard it as a new form of literature. This is generally seen as ‘experimental fiction’ which you’re not asking for, though my novel in other ways fits your criteria. The pictures would essentially sell the book anyway, but only if you have an Art Department.

What’s your deadline for this, and, if it’s not possible for me to meet it, will you be repeating this fantastic offer? Thanks anyway for even thinking of it.

• March 4, 2013 at 4:54 pm Julie Crisp says:

Hi Jessica,
      We don’t have a problem with illustrated work – it’s just graphic novels we can’t really consider at this time. And we don’t have a time limit on the submissions window, at this stage it’s just staying open. However, you mentioned your work was poetic? I’m afraid that we don’t accept poetry – so it would depend on whether this was an epic poem or, as you said, something more experimental.
      Hope that helps!
      Thanks

• March 4, 2013 at 6:14 pm Jessica Greenman says:

Dear Julie,

Yes that does help. No, no, I don’t write poetry; it is not an epic poem; it is poetic prose. I mention THAT because the writing takes quite a time to do, and in this sense is similar to my drawings, and why the novel itself ends up being categorised as experimental. Some of the chapters exist as free-standing segments, relatively un-plot-driven, like pictures.

I do not like graphic novels, aside from Tin Tin.

How wonderful that there is no deadline.

Jessica

32. February 26, 2013 at 6:08 am Shawna Reppert says:

You say you will not look at submissions that have been previously rejected. Does this include submissions rejected by the US Tor imprint?

• February 26, 2013 at 12:51 pm Julie Crisp says:

Yes, we will look at submissions that Tor US have rejected. The UK and US are two very different marketplaces so what works for one readership may not work for the other. The submission just has to be within the set guideline parameters.

33. February 26, 2013 at 9:48 pm Frank says:

hi it is nice to see a publisher who takes an active role in talking to new or hope to be new writers. My question/comment is what if you dont have a novel but short stories, would your company consider publishing a collection of new writers?

• March 4, 2013 at 4:49 pm Julie Crisp says:

Hi Frank,
      Not at the moment I’m afraid, no. It’s a difficult market to break new authors into even when they have a complete novel. So a short story anthology from a collection of new authors, while a nice idea, wouldn’t really be commercially viable at this time.
      Thanks

34. February 27, 2013 at 7:33 am Morgan KF says:

Dear Julie,

Thank you for your reply – that’s good to know and I will bear it in mind for the future. Very best wishes, Morgan

35. February 28, 2013 at 5:04 pm Wilf Jones says:

Well done for opening up the submissions to un-agented work. I suspect your evenings, lunch times and morning commute will be taken up for many years to come.
    For myself it looks like I’ll have to follow the self-publishing route: I committed the cardinal error of writing a trilogy with the first volume itself weighing in at 250k words.
    Is it that, putting George Martin aside, there is no perceived market for long novels? Or is the sheer volume too much trouble for such a small chance of gain? Not a gripe – I’m happy going my own way – but I am curious.
    Good luck anyhow. Hope you find a new star.

• March 4, 2013 at 4:35 pm Julie Crisp says:

Hi Wilf,
      We do publish novels of over 150,000 words. I’m currently reading one of my own authors who has written over 250,000 words (although he is always happy to be edited down when required!) but for the purposes of the submission guidelines we did have to try to narrow the field a little. Hence the word count guidelines.
      Best,

36. February 28, 2013 at 7:10 pm kit Tinsley says:

Do you accept submissions of books that have already been published on Amazon and done well?

• March 4, 2013 at 4:32 pm Julie Crisp says:

Hi Kit,
      We do accept submissions of self-published novels – Amazon or otherwise, as long as they conform to our guidelines.
      Hope that helps.
      Best,

37. May 2, 2013 at 1:21 pm Şerban V.C. Enache says:

Miss. Crisp, I’ve submitted my novel, A Stage For Traitors. I hope you’ll find it worth your while ^_^
    And I thank TOR UK for this great opportunity. I wish you all the best.

38. May 15, 2013 at 5:14 pm Sofie says:

Hi! I was just wondering, you say that we can send in YA as long as its aimed for older readers, right? So what about something like City of Bones or Amanda Hocking’s Trylle trilogy? Do books like that count as YA for older readers?

• July 4, 2013 at 4:41 pm Julie Crisp says:

Yes both those titles count as YA for older audiences – the rule of thumb is if you (objectively) think it can be enjoyed by both an adult and YA audience then it’s probably one we’d take a look at.

39. May 16, 2013 at 4:58 pm 123456 says:

Whats the word count for the first three chapters submission? Is 5000 enough?

• May 17, 2013 at 10:56 am Louise Buckley says:

Hello, we only accept full manuscripts (as stated in the FAQs in this post). All the best, Tor.

40. May 24, 2013 at 5:27 am John says:

Hi Julie,

I was curious about your rejection policy. Several people have reported getting form rejections from you and your staff at about the four month mark or so. The FAQ states that manuscripts not being considered for publication would not receive a reply. Has this policy changed?

Thanks for any clarification.

• July 4, 2013 at 4:40 pm Julie Crisp says:

Hi John,
      So we started off by, as the submission guidelines state, not responding to submissions with rejections. But then we got a lot of complaints so we tried to respond to those we’d read. Then we got more complaints from people who didn’t want a rejection. Can’t win! :-) So we’re now back to NOT responding just as the submission guidelines state.
      Thanks

41. May 24, 2013 at 9:47 am Sofia says:

Hi!
    I was wondering, you said that you only accept YA if it is aimed for older audiences right? So do novels like the Mortal Instruments or the Trylle trilogy count as them? Or even the Hunger Games?
    I just wanted to know so that I have an example of sorts.

42. June 4, 2013 at 6:40 am Atika says:

Hi, are you still accepting submissions?
    Also, would you count Hunger Games as YA for older audiences? My novel is a little like it in terms of being graphic.
    If not Hunger Games, then what other YA novels would you consider categorized for older readership?

• July 4, 2013 at 4:38 pm Julie Crisp says:

We are still accepting submissions and would class Hunger Games as upper YA in that it appeals to a YA and adult readership both.

43. June 30, 2013 at 11:56 am River says:

Do you accept works written by teenage authors? I am 16, and my book is aimed at a 16-18 age range, does that qualify as “Upper YA”?

• July 4, 2013 at 4:37 pm Julie Crisp says:

We’ll accept manuscripts from any age author as long as they follow the Tor UK submissions guidelines. 16-18 would qualify as upper YA.

44. July 10, 2013 at 4:30 pm Sarah says:

Hallo,

I’m writing a trilogy of novels and am thinking about submitting the first (when it’s finished).
    It’s basically a ghost story with strong fantasy elements, but historically set (Chicago 1926).

Would that be considered as fitting?

• July 11, 2013 at 4:47 pm Julie Crisp says:

Sounds interesting – send it in!

45. July 31, 2013 at 9:05 am Steve says:

Hello,
    My novel reduced to 91000 words after editing, however, can I send it in?

• October 3, 2013 at 10:37 am Admin says:

Dear Steve, our submissions polity is to accept novels from 95,000-150,000 so I’m afraid we can’t consider works outside this. Please see other comments on this thread that discuss this aspect of our polity. Best wishes, Team Tor

46. August 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm Marco Cultrera says:

My fantasy novel is 210.000 word long, so outside of the length you posted in the FAQ. Either than that, it satisfies all your other criteria.

Is it really a non starter? I read and enjoyed a lot of debut novels with comparable length published in the last decade, from TOR and other publishers.

Thanks!

• October 3, 2013 at 10:35 am Admin says:

Dear Marco, as you see from our submissions criteria, we are looking for novels from 95,000-150,000, so if it falls outside this, we can’t consider it I’m afraid. However, if you were able to split this into two novels that did meet the criteria, this would work. Please see other comments on this post as to why we have this policy. Best wishes, Team Tor

47. August 7, 2013 at 8:34 pm Lisa says:

Hi,
    Just wondering, if you are interested in taking on a submission, how would you get in touch with the author? Email, letter, phone? Is it different if the author is overseas?
    Cheers, Lisa.

• October 3, 2013 at 10:31 am Admin says:

Dear Lisa, if you send in your novel to our Tor submissions email address, we would then have your email address, so we’d use that to get in touch. Best wishes, Team Tor.

48. August 12, 2013 at 7:20 pm Randi Ryder says:

Good Day,

Do you accept historical fantasy that is set in 5th century A.D., in Ireland. This is destined to be a trilogy, at the very least.

Thank you for your time.

• October 3, 2013 at 10:29 am Admin says:

Dear Randi, in our guidelines we state ‘we only consider complete and unpublished science fiction, fantasy and horror novels, written in English of between 95,000 – 150,000 words.’ If you feel your novel fits this description, please do send it in. Best wishes, Team Tor

49. August 19, 2013 at 5:31 pm Apurva Raj says:

You say between 95,000 – 150,000 words !!!!!

I’ve written about 20,000 words, and I’ve calculated, it would likely to be complete within 30,000-35,000 words.
    It’s a science-fiction, mythological mysterious novel.
    As this will be my first novel,I’m trying to make every page read-worthy and absolutely interesting, thrilling and containing ‘the end’ which might be easy to understand almost yet let readers thinking on many questions in real Life. And may be, leave impact on real life, that makes readers ‘A Believer’.

would you consider if I send it ???

• October 3, 2013 at 10:27 am Admin says:

Dear Apurva Raj, our submission guidelines state we are looking for works of 95,000-150,000. Therefore, if your work fits this criteria, we will consider it. However, if it does not, it will fall outside our remit. Best wishes, Team Tor

50. September 4, 2013 at 11:35 pm Will says:

Hello,

First off, thank you for this opportunity. Second, a quick question:

If I submit the first book of a series that fits the criteria, and it’s accepted, do other books in the series have to fit the criteria, or just the first one?

Thank you in advance.

• October 3, 2013 at 10:24 am Admin says:

Dear Will, our submissions guidelines reflect our criteria for publishing novels, we would therefore want subsequent novels to fit the same brief. Best wishes, Team Tor.

51. September 11, 2013 at 5:37 am Barry says:

So glad you accept emails. Sending my full MS by post from Australia would cost a small fortune. I’m not sure I’d want to deal with a publisher or agent who insisted on snail mail in this century. Sounds Dickensian.

52. September 11, 2013 at 11:17 am Piero says:

I have posted twice a question, and twice it has been ‘pending’ approval by moderators and then removed ( I have never seen it published). I thought you did not accept any more posts. but I see that other posts are immediately published (the last one 11 sept…. while my posts were in july and august). Why?
    I try once again, hoping that this time it will be posted.

I have completed my time-travel novel, of around 85.000 words. Can I still send it even if the word count is slightly lower than what is required? Or is it better to add something and bring it to 95.000 words, even if this would imply not necessary additions? Sometimes a novel is ‘perfect’ ad 85.000 words and it works much better in this lenght.
    Thanks

• September 12, 2013 at 10:56 am Julie Crisp says:

Dear Piero, because we get so many posts we try not to duplicate answers that have already appeared in the comments section previously. We’ve been asked several times whether we can accept submissions outside of the submission guidelines, either below or above the specified word count. And the answer has always been, not at this time. We have extremely limited resources and so the only way we can control the influx of submissions is to try and narrow them slightly. We could do this by theme, or genre, or even location but we’ve tried to keep the submission process as wide open as possible to all ages, sexes and countries. But if we put no limitations on submissions at all then we’d never be able to do our day jobs! All our submission reading, including from the direct submission folder is done in our own personal time, out of work hours – and unpaid. So we have to have some kind of control on what comes in otherwise we’d just have to shut the whole direct submission list down if it became too unmanageable for the three of us. Hope this answers your question. I do wish you all the best with your novel and agree, if it’s perfect the way it is then it should stay that way. But if we made an exception on the guidelines for one person then we’d have to do it for everyone.
      Best,

53. September 15, 2013 at 12:23 am mark says:

Do I have to be a previously published author to be considered for publication by yourselves?

• October 3, 2013 at 10:23 am Admin says:

Dear Mark, it’s not necessary to be a previously published author. Best wishes, Team Tor.

54. September 15, 2013 at 6:30 pm Alex says:

Hi,
    I’ve just finished the first in a series of four fantasy novels and am greatly considering sending it in to you, but I was just wondering, does you only accept copyrighted work (or non-copyrighted) or doesn’t it matter?
    Thanks :)

• October 3, 2013 at 10:20 am Admin says:

Dear Alex, thanks for your query. Usually, copyright in the book automatically resides with the author, as you’ll see in most copyright pages at the front of novels. Sometimes the author will create a company, so the copyright line will reflect their company name. I’m not sure what you mean by ‘non-copyrighted’ novels, but perhaps just submit your work and we’ll take it from there. All best wishes, Team Tor.

55. September 19, 2013 at 8:34 pm Armon says:

Hi there! Nice to see a place like this for up and coming writers!

I have a question of submission formatting, outside of the rules outlined above – do you editors have a preference when it comes to italics versus underlining to show emphasis? Also, do you prefer em-dashes to appear in the manuscript as they are, or to be represented by a pair of hyphens (like so: –)?

Thanks!

• October 3, 2013 at 10:17 am Admin says:

Dear Armon, thanks for your query and we don’t have firm rules about the formatting of italics and em-dashes. Please use whatever system works best for you for those two elements. Best wishes, Team Tor.

56. September 30, 2013 at 5:51 pm Phoebe Hunt says:

Hi,
    I know it states that you would like between 95,000 – 150,000 words and you’ll probably not like that I’m asking this but what if my book has 55,000 words. Is that not ok?

• October 2, 2013 at 4:44 pm Admin says:

Dear Phoebe, we aren’t able to get back with a personalized response to all submissions queries. However, we are pretty specific in our submissions guidelines (link below), and if you can’t see the answer to your query there, please do check the comments attached to the post as these also cover a lot of ground. Hopefully you’ll find the answer to your query in one of these two places. All best wishes, Team Tor http://torbooks.co.uk/2013/01/29/submitting-a-novel-to-tor-uk/

• October 3, 2013 at 1:26 am Lisa says:

Phoeobe the guidelines specifically state that it is not OK that they are concentrating only on novels between 95,000 – 150,000 in order not to have to receive too many novels. 55,000 words is too short for a TOR UK novel.

57. October 8, 2013 at 1:54 pm Henry Bugalho says:

It’s amazing that a publisher is opening its door for direct submissions.
    It’s also amazing that so many of the interested writers can’t read or understand the guidelines.

• October 10, 2013 at 6:49 am Lisa says:

Henry LOTS of publishers are lately not just TOR.

58. October 13, 2013 at 1:12 pm Connor Forsythe says:

Hi, just wondering if there has been a closing date and i may have missed it? Just in the final stages of editing, so i just wanted to be sure i haven’t missed out.
    Thank you for any help you can give.

• October 16, 2013 at 11:25 am Julie Crisp says:

It’s an open submission policy so no deadlines.

59. October 17, 2013 at 3:49 am Harrison Howe says:

Do you publish anthologies and, if so, would you consider a reprint? I edited Darkness on the Edge: Tales Inspired by the Songs of Bruce Springsteen (contributors include T.M. Wright, Sarah Langan, Tom Piccirilli, Gary A. Braunbeck, Nancy Kilpatrick, James A. Moore, and Elizabeth Massie), which was published by PS Publishing in 2010. I am currently seeking a publisher to buy pb rights.

• January 10, 2014 at 3:26 pm Admin says:

Hi Harrison, thanks for checking with us, but I don’t think this would be suitable for our list. However, all the best with this. Team Tor

60. October 22, 2013 at 1:42 pm Tamsin Macdonald says:

Just wondering if you could clarify what form of synopsis you require in the covering email. I have seen the term used to refer to both a blurb which gives away nothing major, and (more as I would expect) a blow-by-blow account of what happens in a novel, including all major twists and the ending. Either’s fine, but I don’t want to give you spoilers if you don’t want them! The word “short” was what got me wondering about what level of detail you require.
    Thanks!

• January 10, 2014 at 3:24 pm Admin says:

Hi Tamsin – thanks for checking and we don’t need a retelling of the plot here, so shorter is better for us. A paragraph or so just letting us know what it’s about would be great and we don’t mind about spoilers. Hope that is helpful. All best, Team Tor

61. December 21, 2013 at 5:04 pm Jo says:

With just over 700 words to go and getting near the end of editing, I’m hoping to finish early in the New Year. I see you accept submissions for Scifi, Fantasy and Horror and was wondering if you would take a look at a novel with a sub-genre that also included a little Romance?

• January 9, 2014 at 4:47 pm Louise Buckley says:

Hi Jo, it can contain romance so long as there is a sufficient genre element to it. All the best, Tor.

62. January 10, 2014 at 7:10 pm Becky Elizabeth Searson says:

Is paranormal (New-Adult 18-25) fiction being accepted?

• January 13, 2014 at 11:59 am Louise Buckley says:

Yep! We are looking for authors writing in this area, so send it our way! Thanks, Louise

63. January 11, 2014 at 11:04 pm Gavin Jones says:

Hi! I represent a science fiction author who has recently written a novel that’s been optioned as a film. The book’s already sold over 500 e-books on Amazon without any marketing, are you still accepting submissions? It’s an adult original title.

• January 13, 2014 at 11:58 am Louise Buckley says:

Hi Gavin, submissions are still open so just check our guidelines to see where to submit to and what the specification is. All the best, Louise

64. February 6, 2014 at 3:23 pm Robynn says:

Hi, I was just wondering if you are accepting submissions that haven’t been professionally edited? I don’t have an agent or an editor, so my manuscript is completely unedited, with the exception of me going through it myself.
    Thanks

• February 6, 2014 at 4:04 pm Julie Crisp says:

Yes we do. Most direct submissions we receive have not been professionally edited. We wouldn’t expect them to be. Hope that helps. Thanks!

65. March 14, 2014 at 11:13 pm Mike says:

Two quick questions for you:

#1 Are you looking only for traditional sci-fi? My novel could be considered soft sci-fi or cross-genre (sci-fi/women’s fic).

#2 Because it’s more commercial in tone and pacing than traditional sci-fi, it clocks in at about 85k words. So if the answer is yes to #1, is this word count acceptable? And if so, should I note it on the cover letter?

OK, that’s technically three questions. :)

• March 24, 2014 at 11:12 am Julie Crisp says:

We’re looking for anything that is genre – but I’m afraid we have to stick to the submissions guidelines in terms of word count purely because we have such a large pile of submissions to get through that already do conform to all the guidelines.

66. March 25, 2014 at 9:16 pm Nicholas Boyd Crutchley says:

I find bloated stories an anathema. Sagas of six hundred pages in each book, mostly padding. There was a time that 75,000 – 80,000 words, post editing, was deemed ‘a novel’. It is a shame that stories naturally suited to 80,000 words have now to be fattened up, like a good for Christmas.

Any other publishers now opened there door?

Good on Tor for being so forward thinking.

• March 28, 2014 at 1:43 pm wilf says:

Maybe you don’t like epic novels? I do. Sometimes it’s more fun being taken for a long ride than a short one. In my own struggles to produce something worth reading I’m aiming at three concise 250K novels with not a sentence of padding in the whole project. Of course it depends on what you mean by padding. I like telling stories within stories. Anathema to some no doubt.
      The thing is different ideas come out differently – short or long isn’t the issue, the book just has to work.

67. April 5, 2014 at 12:11 am Lisa says:

There are a vast number of publishers and imprints out there happy to take 75,000 to 80,000 word novels. Nicholas.
    I have a novel published by a good publisher that is 65,000 words. This isn’t indicative of a change in times, it’s just TOR UKs rule for unagented subs.

TOR understandably just doesn’t want to be flooded with manuscripts so have made that rule.

Other publishers have made the rule to only submit by email on a Wednesday. etc… to cull the number of subs so it doesn’t get too crazy to handle.